ENJOY BEING PROUD OF WHO YOU ARE:
52 Inspirational Life-Skills Messages for Teenagers
Teenagers are given an education for work but not necessarily for dealing with life.
Why I wrote this book:
In this 21st century frenetic lifestyle era, teenagers are crying out for help in how to prepare and cope with the impending jungle of adulthood.
This is evidenced in the appalling growth – worldwide - in the incidence of teenage depression and suicide. I was amazed at the precious little I found written specifically for teenagers on life-skills messages of the type contained in this book.
Forty years of working professionally in recreation and sport development has given me extensive insight into
- positive behaviour by people of all ages and backgrounds enjoying their favourite leisure and recreational pursuits
- the passions, talents and unique potential that drive people to achieve great things in their lives.
This, plus having been blessed with the gift of listening, the passion for writing and the wisdom not to judge, have given me a sound basis on which to build my lifestyle mentoring business. Life-skills are timeless attributes, of value to people of all ages and backgrounds.
Enjoy Being Proud Of Who You Are: 52 Inspirational Life-Skills Messages for Teenagers
attempts to give teenagers a helping hand through this period of uncertainty. Its inspirational messages aim to communicate and encourage:
- Self-acceptance and acceptance of others
- A positive self-image
- Emotional well-being
- Independence and inter-dependence
Loving your teenage son or daughter is not enough. He or she needs to feel that you appreciate them as a blossoming human being, whose talents and uniqueness require constant nurturing, support and encouragement and whose dreams are sufficiently intriguing to be worth exploring. (from "Enjoy Being Proud of Who You Are")
You are the world's future, it's promise of new talent, passion and potential.
My book focuses on:
- developing and sustaining your strong mental health
- maximizing your unique mix of talents, passions and potential - your natural tools for an emotionally (and hopefully materially) successful life
- cultivating your sense of high self-esteem, self-belief, self-confidence and sense of self-worth throughout your life's journey
- build the resilience you need not only to cope with life but to thrive and have the drive to achieve your hopes and dreams
TEENAGE LEADERS WORKSHOP REACTION:
Today I conducted a fascinating session with 12 teenagers who are the children of people in prison. All of them were the most delightful and appreciative group of teenagers you could wish to meet. (Had to settle them down at times but that's teens! ).My session was part of a leadership weekend organised for them. I based group discussions on my book "Enjoy Being Proud of Who You Are: 52 Inspirational Lifestyle Messages for Teenagers". They were each invited to find just one message of interest and I was blown away that they kept coming back with over a dozen messages in the book that they thought important and wanted to discuss. I especially liked the comment from one young girl at the end of the session who said she loved the "And one for the parents" message which she said she was going to show her mum.
Remarkable how well these youngsters are dealing with the sort of grim home lives many of them face. It was a privilege to work with them.